Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Stronger

Not Dead Yet!


I wondered when I started whether Bikram Yoga would kill me or make me stronger. After 6 weeks I can fairly say I feel pretty good, although the 90-minute regimen remains demanding of body, mind and spirit. Constant self-discipline is necessary to keep focus and effort throughout; another kind of self-discipline is, of course, necessary to even show up to class.

It comes as little surprise to me that a controlled study shows yoga practitioners develop higher emotional intelligence and, partly as a result, make better managers:
...researchers at the Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore (IIM-B) ... found that yoga enhances employees' Emotional Intelligence (EI) and significantly improves managerial performance in organisations.

Using data collected from 60 managers, the study shows that employees who maintain a strong spiritual factor are more tolerant to failure and less susceptible to stress. "A systematic adoption of the yoga way of life can result in better EI among managers, thus paving the way for better performance as managers."




No comments:

Post a Comment